• Print

Author Topic: Positivity Thread!  (Read 24575 times)

rejoiceitssusan

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
Positivity Thread!
« on: June 01, 2010, 10:47:41 pm »
Post good things that happen to you or the world!!

+The new Mixtapes EP is awesome
+School's out in 3 days
+Softball started and is undepressing
++The hot senior I have a crush on turned out to actually be a junior so now I get to have a crush on him for a whole nother year!!!!

Matt

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Re: Positivity Thread!
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 11:17:12 pm »
As assigned for English, I'm writing a few personal stories based on topics of the book The House On Mango Street. It's pretty nice to get it out there, though I'm sure she'll be surprised that I'm writing about some deep shit. I think I'm gonna start a blog.

Matt

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 11:34:32 pm »
Here's one of the papers. I tried to focus it on how malleable I really am. Let me know what you think:
I struggle with substance abuse every day of my life. Marijuana, alcohol, cigarettes. It’s horrible. Every day I wake up and I wish I was still asleep. Those extra 20 minutes of sleep would mean so much to me. I’d give hundreds of dollars to stay in bed for 20 more minutes. And this is why I struggle.
I’ve never gotten drunk or high. I’ve never snorted anything or injected myself with anything. I’ve never smoked. So, one may ask “Where does the struggle come from?” The struggle comes from the two sides of my head at war. One is heavily influenced by the music that I listen to and people I idolize. The other is influenced by stress and a feeling that I need to escape. This is abnormal. I know. Most people do not listen to Straight-edge hardcore bands every day that remind them to stay in control of their mind. Most people do not think they have a responsibility like I do to remain alert and ready to run or fight at all times. Most people have dreams of going to college, partying for four years and then getting some mediocre job at some mediocre office. Or maybe they’ll own a mediocre business. I have no idea what I want to do with my life, and I think that can help at times. But the other side of my head is just as strong, and it often feels like the drug-free side is just holding its ground until I cave. The feeling that I need to escape is the most prevalent and also the scariest. I come so close to asking my friend to buy me pot. I come so close. Then again I also come close to having “Drug-free for life” tattooed into my back.

Do I turn to a drink or into what I really wanna be?
Is a substance gonna be the crutch that’s gonna
Set me f****** free?
A band named Have Heart wrote these lyrics. They were one of the greatest straight-edge hardcore bands ever, right after D.C.’s own Minor Threat. I’ve tried to lead a positive life, and not waste my time. I’ve tried to follow these words, but if I don’t let go I might just explode.
I’ve tried to explain to my friend that having goals and smoking weed don’t mix very well. He doesn’t care. And deep down, maybe I don’t either. Because, in the end, it’s all a struggle. And I can win or I can lose, and what is winning and what is losing isn’t clear to me yet, but even if I do win, what difference will it make? And am I doing it for myself, or to impress my idols?

rejoiceitssusan

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 12:04:22 am »
Oh my god I love The House On Mango Street so much. Most people hated it. What'd you think?

Matt that was really amazing.
I know how you feel. I wish I could put it into those words!
A lot of times when everything's shitty I'll imagine myself either cutting or doing some sort of drug so I don't have to think or feel. That's one of the reasons I'm obsessed with books about drug addicts and music about alcoholism and stuff.
One minor critique, if it's supposed to be written a bit like Mango Street:
change So, one may ask “Where does the struggle come from?”
so it doesn't have one may ask because that's kind of formal for that type of writing to just So, where does the struggle come from?
Also maybe change "horrible" to a word that's less generic.

I read this other girl's essay about this book and it was some of the best writing by a peer I've ever read and so was this so I guess The House On Mango Street is very inspirational!

rejoiceitssusan

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 12:10:32 am »
ALSO!!!!!
Your teacher won't like report you to the counselor for writing about being depressed and wanting to do drugs, right?!?!! BECAUSE SCHOOL COUNSELORS SUCK AND MIGHT TELL OTHER PEOPLE WHAT YOU SAY.!

Floyd

• Administrator
  • Offline Offline
  • I will be in the chamber of understanding.
    • View Profile
    • My website, You have never heard of it.
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 08:35:24 am »
ALSO!!!!!
Your teacher won't like report you to the counselor for writing about being depressed and wanting to do drugs, right?!?!! BECAUSE SCHOOL COUNSELORS SUCK AND MIGHT TELL OTHER PEOPLE WHAT YOU SAY.!

ours would. In the 3rd grade the teacher reported me to the counselor for drawing a picture of a remote control that drops poop on the teaher's head. They thought it was a bomb.
I run this shit.

Matt

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 05:07:45 pm »
ALSO!!!!!

Not sure. I'm really unsure of whether to hand it in or not.

Matt

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 06:24:46 pm »
My school counselor literally said "I won't ever tell anyone anything you say unless I think you might be doing something illegal or immoral."
GUESS WHO I'M NEVER TELLING SHIT TO?

rejoiceitssusan

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2010, 09:38:36 pm »
In the 3rd grade the teacher reported me to the counselor for drawing a picture of a remote control that drops poop on the teaher's head. They thought it was a bomb.
Lol that's so awesomely 3rd grade of you.

My school counselor literally said "I won't ever tell anyone anything you say unless I think you might be doing something illegal or immoral."
GUESS WHO I'M NEVER TELLING SHIT TO?
Ugh. I hate those people. I wonder if anyone actually talks to them. The only times I've ever heard of people talking to them is if they're telling on someone.

CultureRevolution

• Moderator with no Moderator powers
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2010, 10:49:11 pm »
SCHOOLS OUT!!!!!!!!!!

rejoiceitssusan

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2010, 12:47:02 am »
SCHOOLS OUT!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CultureRevolution

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2010, 09:18:48 pm »
I think i might be able to get to all of the shows I wanted to get to besides the last one. But I didnt care as much about that one.   ;D

Floyd

• Administrator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2010, 08:42:02 am »
I passed computer concepts with a final grade of 77.96, but I made a 97.67 on the final exam itself.
one final down, two to go.
I run this shit.

Floyd

• Administrator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2010, 11:40:40 am »
I have finished all of my final exams and I do not have to go to school for a few months.
I run this shit.

CultureRevolution

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2010, 01:34:41 pm »
I've been in a good mood ever since school got out.
I have literally never been upset besides when I got my teeth out.

• Print